Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Back in Sweden

It feels great to be back here. This really does feel like a second home here I am so comfortable with the school, my friends, even the geography of little Jonkoping. My flight was great... the best ever overseas, maybe because I had a window seat. I flew into Stockholm, took a train from the airport to the central bus station, then took a 3 hour bus ride from Stockholm to Jonkoping.

Today was my first day at the HLK and I hung out with Josefina in the studio. It's actually good to be back in a TV studio. I noticed as I was helping her with equipment that I've become much more confident in handling mics, tripods, etc.... even lights up in the grid. Tomorrow I give my first lecture on television news in the U.S. That oughtta be good. Ha.

I love the fact that people here do not live to work, they work to live. The work days are shorter and everyone takes a break caled "fika" at 9:30 and 2:30 each day. They gather in a common area of the school and have coffee. The coffee (or latte or cappuccino if you prefer) is FREE, along with all the crackers and biscuits you want. Educators are really respected over here and nobody is worried about the economy. "Education is never a victim" I was told, matter-of-factly by a fellow HLK faculty member.

I saw my friend Ebba and cannot wait to hang out with her. She and I are only one week apart in age. It was funny when we first saw each other... we sort of looked each other up and down and then smiled and said, "you look exactly the same!" I guess this is the sort of thing women do once they get up to this age... they celebrate staying the same as long as possible... before age starts to really show. Maybe it already does but we each choose not to see it. Anyway, she is going to help me set up my shoot at the glass factories south of here. She will come along and shoot stills while I shoot video. It should be fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

I don't think I'll be going away as much as I did last time. I just like hanging here in Jonkoping and I don't feel like I have as much energy. I just want to chill. I just watched the sun set over Lake Vattern and now all the lights are on across the lake on the hill. It's beautiful.

No comments: