Saturday, October 11, 2008

Malaise

I had an incredible workload this past week and I got everything I wanted to do DONE, including grading, etc. So, why do I feel so low today? I have no idea. It could have something to do with finding out yesterday that I'm teaching an "extra" extra class this spring. This fall I was only supposed to teach two, but then it became clear the doc capstone students needed a regularly scheduled meeting time of their own, so I added that and a directed research to my plate. Mind you, I'm not getting teaching credit for either of those added things.

Then, I was supposed to only teach two things this spring, but then yesterday they added another class, plus I'll continue with the capstone meetings and the directed research. It's a load every bit as heavy as I taught when I was an instructor with no research or creative activity requirement.

I'm trying not to complain out loud, but I'm allowed to vent here. I not only wonder now how I can do "quality" work. I wonder how I'm supposed to get any work done at all.

2 comments:

... said...

Lisa, hang in there. If any consolation, I know your students appreciate your troubles for them... Btw, thanks for the warm comments on our doc :)

Roman

ucfmills said...

Roman, you are so welcome. I may be worried about my schedule but I definitely don't resent my students. I try to put them first:) I can't wait to see your next Webisode. The UCF faculty are showing these in their classes.