Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My composer friends

I guess my favorite thing about making documentaries is the new friends I make. Last night I had the privilege of talking to three of the composers I met while shooting The Young Composers Challenge. I went to the "String Romance" Focus Series concert by the OPO Chamber Orchestra to shoot Keith Lay's piece "On the Playground, Concerto for Violin and Strings." I just wanted to shoot an archival video for him to have. He's been so warm and supportive of my work, and right now he's perfecting the audio for the film. I could tell it was a special night for Keith and for his wife, Joy. They were the superstars of the event. The piece was beautiful. I especially liked the second movement.

On the way in to set up I ran into Catie Weddle and Sue Bigsby, who were likely there because Catie's harp teacher Rosalind Beck was performing a solo piece. That was gorgeous, too. It was great to see those two lovely ladies... mother and daughter out for a night of music. I gave them the "secret" information about the documentary and they seemed very enthusiastic about it.

After I finished shooting Keith's piece, Dr. Stella Sung invited me to sit with her for the remainder of the concert. Stella is a very warm person and I love to watch her work the crowd at these OPO events. She gives everyone who speaks to her warm wishes and takes the time to pay attention to her "fans." They really appreciate that.

I would have to say that these people... Keith Lay, Stella Sung, Catie Weddle... and of course Chris Wilkins and David Schillhammer with the OPO... and Carl Rendek, the orchestra manager... deserve a lot of credit. They are passionate about what they do and that shows in the quality of their work. They are also very friendly and warm, making everyone feel welcome. It is always uplifting to spend time with them.

No comments: